Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Air Radios and Accessories

TOPIC: FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed...

FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4513

• Asad
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 445
Finally... FrSky, currently the best (technically and product QC wise) Chinese RC Tx module/Rx manufacturer, has come out with the Futaba compatible receiver TFR8...

These will cost quite less compared to genuine Futaba receivers. Obviously, there are some pros and cons, as is normally the case which you can read about at the link below:

www.rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_compatible_review.shtml
Cliffs:

1 - Equivalent brown-out performance
2 - Wider but thinner than Futaba R608FS
3 - Similar reboot performance
4 - TFR8 draws higher current (105mA) compared to R608FS (75mA)
5 - TFR8 has 7-8% lower range than R608FS (not an issue when flying within visual range as is normally done)
6 - TFR8 is more susceptible to extremely strong interference (on the bench testing, not in-flight) compared to the R608FS. It is still better than Spektrum, Assan, Corona and other DSSS radio modules.
7 - Analog and digital servos work fine with TFR8.
8 The above are based on a pre-release sample and final product may have improved features.

TFR8 will cost around US$30.

:woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo:
I don't drive fast. I fly low.
(2B)||!(2B) - That is the question...
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"They plot & plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah” (Al-Anfal:30)

RCPAK.com - Pakistan's largest website on RC...
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Asad.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4515

• Salam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 820
Asad, I saw this and am going to try this (when available) in one of my 3D foamie. The 617FS I am running in that foamie is expansive than the plane itself, so that's a best candidate to try it.

I have also read that they are going to bring a plastic casing for the same rx just like the genuine one to replace the heat shrink.
Fly Low - Fly 3D - Fly Often

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4516

• Asad
  • Administrator
Yeah, I hope FrSky introduce lighter and smaller 4-6 channel Rxs for parkflyers at even lower rates.
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"They plot & plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah” (Al-Anfal:30)

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4527

• hamza
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
how many of you are using the Frsky 8-channel rx?

I am currently in the process of converting to 2.4Ghz from 72Mhz. Cant makeup my mind for which company i should stick to. I mostly fly 40-90 size planes.

Apparently, Frsky is much superior technology than most of the 2.4Ghz brands out there...plus its damn cheap.

is it really as good as it sounds? whats the experience? any serious range limitations?

Hamza.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4528

• Salam
  • Administrator
Hamza,

Please read the review which will give you a very good idea about these receivers. This is still under production and the review copy is among the few made for testing. They should be in the market in about a month time.

Review: FASST-compatible TFR8 receiver
www.rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_compatible_review02.shtml

Hobby King has it available for pre-order for $30
www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_vie....asp?idProduct=14300

This particular rx is compatible with most of the Futaba 2.4 radios and I think it will also work with frSky radio systems.

For Spektrum/JR they also have compatible receivers.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Salam.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4529

• Asad
  • Administrator
hamza wrote:
how many of you are using the Frsky 8-channel rx?

None. See Salam's post above.
I am currently in the process of converting to 2.4Ghz from 72Mhz. Cant makeup my mind for which company i should stick to. I mostly fly 40-90 size planes.

Regardless of which plane you fly (barring carbon reinforced fuselages such as those in gliders), the ranking based on the technology and technique in use goes as below:

Brand name systems: Futaba/Hitec >> JR/Spektrum
Chinese modules: * FrSky >> Assan >> Corona

>> here means the brand on the left of >> is much better than brand on the right.

The above specifically applies to 2.4GHz systems.

* - By FrSky, I am referring here specifically to their own brand modules, not Futaba/Spektrum compatible Rx.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 4 years 2 months ago #4530

• Asad
  • Administrator
I will add that there are other factors in play too apart from technological superiority. These may include brand loyalty, plain old brand trust, feel of the equipment, comfort, additional features constituting bells and whistles, complex model programming, etc.

Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Asad.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 3 years 11 months ago #7988

• Asad
  • Administrator
According to the NZ agent of FrSky, by the end of this month the company is coming up with an additional Rx component. By using it, you can expand the available channels from 8 to 14. :D

Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Asad.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 3 years 2 months ago #23278

• Asad
  • Administrator
AFAIK, FrSky came out with new 4 and 7 channel FASST compatible RXs. Has anyone here tried any of the FASST compatible RXs?

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 3 years 2 months ago #23279

• Salam
  • Administrator
Asad wrote:
AFAIK, FrSky came out with new 4 and 7 channel FASST compatible RXs. Has anyone here tried any of the FASST compatible RXs?

How much the new FrSky 4 and 6 channel receivers cost?

I thought to try one but couldn't order one since I still have some extra genuine receivers. FrSky TFR8 at HiModel is available for $40 plus shipping while Futaba has lowered the prices of 7 and 6 channel receivers and also offering some combo deals or other discount options so genuine R617FS (full range) receiver will cost around $60 or could be less than that if one could fine a sweet deal. I think for the margin of less than 20$ I will buy a genuine thing. I think in case of Pakistan where prices may still be high, it might be feasible to try these FrSky receivers.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 3 years 2 months ago #23286

• Asad
  • Administrator
Salam wrote:
How much the new FrSky 4 and 6 channel receivers cost?

They were announced in the last week of July so I think they will take some time coming to the retail channel.

Re:FrSky Futaba FASST compatible receiver reviewed... 3 years 2 months ago #24157

• Asad
  • Administrator
Corona has now also come out with a FASST compatible receiver; the R8FA.

At this time, it is not confirmed if it is just a re-labelled version of the Frsky FASST compatible RX or a new product.